Saturday, June 14, 2008

To Fathers

This is my Papaji. When I was little he was the funnest father on the block. He would play hop scotch with us when other fathers sat and read newspapers. He would make us solve puzzles to earn privileges when other children had to do chores. He would take us to foreign movies when our friends went to traditional ones. He put us in the best schools when others chose the closest ones. He has a great sense of humor and limitless wonder about the universe. He is a voracious reader and even more prolific writer. He gave me a secure childhood to go explore unfamiliar worlds without fear. He kept the restricting customs away so I could grow freely. He taught me passion for life so I could enjoy the world. He pointed the half full glass to me so I could always walk with hope. When I doubted myself he said "YES YOU CAN". When I did try, he cheered me on. He was the best father to have in an unfair world; a staunch feminist on my behalf. He was a hands on father when staying aloof was the norm. He was willing to take on the world if my future was threartened. He taught me not just to live but to thrive. He put in all he had, and then he let me go. No strings attached.
When God smiles at you He sends such a father your way.
Happy Fathers Day.

I Love You Very Much Papaji.

Ambi

***********************************************



Babi writes:

Sitting at this desk and unlocking the doors of perception is an experience that defies definition. For the first time during the unpredictable upheavals of the past several months I find myself addressing the entire brethren from the other side of the table. All these days, separated by continents and hemispheres, I had never realized the true nature of the continuous battles being waged by Sanabhai, Nuabou and their entire family in encountering and overcoming the deadly enemy called Cancer...As I fervently unleash my thoughts on the keyboard, I can feel the realization slowly creeping into my veins.....the enormity of the situation....the magnitude of the ailment. Only Badada, Vivek and a few other fortunate ones in addition to the family, who had visited the embattled couple when they were scaling the steep uphill journey across the eye of the storm, have been blessed with the opportunity of having been able to walk a few short steps with them. While the eldest was with his childhood friend, brother and son during the Nadir of his agony, the youngest has stolen His indulgence in joining his Tarzan during the Zenith of his recovery..... Acquiring firsthand experience, I am humbled to dust to behold the unbelievable....to discover the unimaginable....to realize the insurmountable....
On the eve of my departure back to the humdrum of routine, paradoxically I feel almost relieved to observe a few cracks in the invincible armor of this couple, a few signs of weakness that bring them down to earth and make them vulnerable human beings, a few faltering steps that make them accessible to us…..But I shall always be mystified by the invisible power that galvanizes their efforts to conquer the seemingly impossible odds and emerge as victors…… God bless you all….

On Father’s Day:

Baba, our dearest Captain, my dearest friend, your presence in our lives is ever so fragrant with memories, ever so pronounced with guidance, ever so alive with indulgence….
You may have changed your abode to allow the dance of Creation to continue, but your loving charisma accompanies me every step of my life…
You walked a path of silent leadership, you lived a life of exemplary integrity, you taught a way of life that challenged the best in us to unfold like a flower of dazzling colors. You never preached without practicing, you never spoke without performing, you never disciplined without educating….
Your youth was a story of examples set for the family to emulate and exercise, but your childhood returned to rise to exalting heights with your youngest friend, your spoilt brat, your “Happy the man”! While I learned the lessons of life from your silent but strong presence in the background, I still meet you every so often in my dreams, beholding the haloed divinity of love pointing towards a path of human excellence through the indispensable traits of conscience, compassion and humility.
As countless millions prepare to offer their gifts of love to their fathers on this beautiful day,
I have nothing to offer except prostration at your feet in gratitude for having bestowed on me the Gift of Life and a place in your family of illustrious stalwarts.
Thank you Baba for always being there when it mattered….
Pranams and Love.
Babi


Sachi writes :

Dear Baba—Please accept our pranams from all your children on this father’s day. Even though you passed away in 1993, your presence is felt in every event & every discussion in the family. It feels like just yesterday that you were amidst all of us, exercising your authority in a subtle & gentle manner. You spoke only a few words, but your expression, sometimes with a faint smile, other times none would convey enough to us about seriousness of the situation. Very early in childhood all of us learnt to recognize your style of teaching the important principles by living them yourself. Understanding & learning in this manner has had much more lasting effect on all of us till today. I personally learnt from your examples , all about ethics, honesty & compassion which no other accomplishment can replace. We all also have numerous fond memories of the fun times we had during vacations. You often would try to meet everyone’s special needs & demands, bring home surprises starting from incredible sweets to expensive sports items. Oh yes , the specially enjoyable times were when you used to drive me & Bhai to school in the mornings and often sing Oriya songs on the way. The rocky boat ride during high tides in Chilka lake was memorably a scary one. I could go on & on listing many more from a very long memory lane. Baba, thank you very much for so many memorable events & thank you for being our father. This reminds me the following from an American singer :

Leader of the band is tired, his eyes are growing old,
But his blood runs through my instrument & his song is in my soul.
My life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man,
I am just a living legacy to the leader of the band.

With Love........Sachi

6 comments:

Leema and Achintya said...

Dearest Ambi Main,Sati Mamu and Babi Mamu,

Pranam to all of you..Thanks for the beautiful and eloquently expressed father's day message..each one of them was so expressive and touching..each one a beautiful potrail of the two most wonderful and ever so loving and giving Father's- Bedi Uncle and my dearest Aja!

All I can say on this occasion is Happy Father's Day to my dearest Daddy and to Bedi Uncle, Sati Mamu and Babi Mamu..Hope all of you have a wonderful day and a great year ahead..as all of you truly deserve it and are the best father's any child could ever hope for..we all our truly blessed to have you in our lives!

Love u all very much!

Take care,
Pranam and Prayers,
Leema.

Unknown said...

Thanks Ambi for the most wonderful gift of love a father ever received from daughter. In a small passage you have encapsulated a whole life and traced its notable milestones. Brevity indeed is the essence of excellence. In small lines you have packed so much emotion and material as to turn it into a biography. Its cryptic meaning and message only we can understand. The whole paragraph is a gem of nostalgia which can come only out of passionate feelings. Your line "He was prepared to take on the world..." moved me most. Thanks for recounting all worth remembering.

Love Daddy.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sachibhai & Jeff,
We wish you both Happy fathers day!
Hope coming year is filled with much joy and laughter and many more to come!
We are so happy to see Sachibhai's recovery.
As always, nicely written about fathers!
Keeping you in prayers,
Prakash,Mamta & Olivia Roy

Sini and Sanju said...

dearest sanabhai,
again after a long gap, i come...after reading your's n babis messages on 'FATHER'S
DAY' i feel so nostalgic n morose that i fail to express my deep
feelings for my darling BABA...HE was really a darling FATHER...SO loving yet so silent
...one can only feel his love n affection...how very caring n thoughtful was our dear dear BABA
...long forty years of sweet memory...he was very friendly with BABI n me,
ofcourse sudhabhai too...we were the youngest..for which reason u all sometimes felt very 'J'
...am i right?...i know i am...
i remember, when i was a kid, BABA always brought sweets n handed to me..
then all 3 of us start dividing those amongest us...conveniently giving less to babi,
since he was too small to understand...and many more stories like this...
BABA used to play with us SCRABBLE...though i dint like to play...even
then i played to make babahappy...i was always ready to help BABA...the
moment he calls i run to do the job...after APA'Smarriage , i became the apple of his eye
...for every little thing BABA called me, and I listen to him instantly
this continued till my marriage...after that my dear BABA became very lonely...
there is so much to say...i loved my BABA very very much..
i was too much attached to him.. for which reason i could not accept the
fact that my darling BABA IS NO MORE..it took years to accept baba's departure..
again to day you both have made me feel so sad...only tears roll from
my eyes in dear BABA;S thought....
DEAREST DARLING BABA, WHERE EVER YOU ARE ...BE IN PEACE... WE ALL LOVE YOU SO MUCH..
YOU ARE THE BEST BABA IN THIS WORLD....SINI

Nandini & Swarup said...

OUR SPECIAL THOUGHTS ON FATHER`S DAY-----
Respected Baba,
Our Pranams and homage to you-We are all grateful to God giving us wonderful and outstanding father like you.Baba you were really an unparalled Dad -hence we never compare anybody with you.You were just perfect and excelled in every sphere of youn illustrious life.
As a doctor-you brilliant,devoted,compassionate and treated each patient with utmost care and sincerety.Seeing you all started respecting and loving the profession.
Rarely one sees a person who played all his roles in life to the fullest-but you were such a person.As a son you were so loving, caring and dutiful, that Maa(grand mother) always proudly said that"my son is like Ramachandra"Aja and Aai also loved you like their son because of your endearing qualities,love and regards for them.
Baba-YOU WERE AN HONOURABLE MAN.As a father you gave each one of us so much of love,care and security-that we never thought we missed out on anything in this world.Your love was always expressed in your deeds-like your birthday gifts,visits to ice-cream shop,special snacks(mutton cutlets) visits to BNR hotel Puri for grand dinners are unforgettable.
You always treated us as adults ,undestood us,sympathised with us and aboveall you were always by our side at the time of our need.
Such was our great father an admirable mixture (best of east and best of west)
Baba you were a great and very affectionate grand father-all your grand children are your greatest fans and love you from the core of their heart.You really inspired them.
You were also an ideal father-in-law who commanded love,respect and admiration of your son-in-law.
Overall to all us you were a legendery person.You shall always be missed by us.But you will always live in our hearts.
GOD BLESS YOUR NOBLE SOUL-
With highest regards,
Nandini&Swarup
Ps. Nuabou,
Please let us know about Sanbhai`s check-up at Mayo Clinic.
With warm regards and good wishes to you all,
Nandini&Swarup

v(ivek) said...

i thought that after a week or so i might find the right words to respond to this blog in the most "appropriate" fashion... but i am still at a loss of words as dad has really said all there is to say and rendered me somewhat speechless in the delivery and expression of his memories and love... so all i have left is to say, "happy father's day to one and all... hope you're as lucky as we are ;)"

love and pranams,
vivek